We have been talking on how to make our community grow. We have all sorts of user bases, but we only see a slice of it in GIS Stack Exchange.
Since we are an open community, we should try getting more members and show the full strength of the GIS community, in all it's diversity.
So far, we have a lot of programming/users related questions, meaning in part, that most of our users do these tasks on a daily basis. But we are leaving some people out of the loop.
In here I would like to discuss how we can advertise GIS Stack Exchange and make it bigger and better. Size alone is not important. Quality is a must - and we must keep that in mind.
So far, we have identified a few "holes" in our user base, listed below. If I forgot someone, feel free to edit my post or remind me in a comment.
- Remote Sensing Users
- GeoDjango and Python GIS Libraries users (geoscript, and others)
- Spatial Databases guys, specially: Oracle Spatial/GeoRaster, MySQL Spatial, Spatial Lite, SQL Server 2008
- .NET Library fellows. NTS and other great libraries developed for .NET
- All OsGeo developers users (I know a lot of them, and some are already here - thanks for the support)
- Topography and GNSS people.
- Theoretical GIS researchers/students. There a small number of them here. Who else can we include? Remember that GIS is a tool that is applied to a diverse number of disciplines, like biology, geography, geology, marketing, military sciences, transit and transportation and many, many others.
In short: we need ideas to call all this user bases to become part of our community. How can we attract them?
Give ideas, take initiatives, let's make this community big and a top notch place for GIS/Geotechnologies experts!