I don't yet have the privilege to create tag synonyms and I found a synonym which I believe to be incorrect.

Currently, the "triangulation" tag remaps to "tin". I think this is wrong. While the t in tin stands for triangulation, they are very different.

Wikipedia's definition of triangulation:

In trigonometry and geometry, triangulation is the process of determining the location of a point by measuring angles to it from known points at either end of a fixed baseline, rather than measuring distances to the point directly (trilateration). The point can then be fixed as the third point of a triangle with one known side and two known angles.

And the article on TIN here.

Clearly, different definitions.

Here's an example of a post which I tried to tag as "triangulation". It automatically remapped to tin which just doesn't suit.

Can we get this changed?

  • added trilateration tag makes it searchable on GIS-SE - it also good to understand the difference for newcomers or less experienced users on the subject.
    – Mapperz Mod
    Commented Nov 30, 2012 at 14:17

1 Answer 1


Thanks for noticing that.

I removed the triangulation-->TIN synonym. But this does not resolve the issue: did you notice that Wikipedia lists almost a dozen distinct meanings of "triangulation"? The process of triangulation to create a TIN--usually Delaunay triangulation--is mentioned on our site at least as often as triangulation in a surveying context (and that was the context in which the triangulation tag had been created originally).

As a stopgap, to make the disambiguation clear, I tagged your referenced post with triangulation-survey. There must be a better name for this; I welcome suggestions.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .