I saw this question: Can the OpenGeo Community Edition be used in a commercial project?
which I felt was a very good fit to this site.
Unfortunately it was closed as off topic.
I am having trouble understanding why it was off topic. We have already discussed whether it is ok to ask questions about licensing & legal issues. The general consensus was that it was Ok to ask those kinds of questions here.
There are many questions along these lines including:
- Can Quantum GIS (QGIS) be used behind a paywall or barrier page?
- What are the concerns with using Creative Commons licenses for spatial data?
- What are OpenStreetMap license requirements?
- OpenStreetMap content in commercial applications
- Question about licence
- And Many more about Google Maps Licensing
I don't see how this question is any different from the others.
I can understand that a knowledgeable person's query might be satisfied by knowing that the software is under GPL, but that fact by itself is not enough to close the question as off topic.