The adf tag is currently used in 21 Questions about:
- The Web Application Developer Framework (ADF) of ArcGIS for Server (and ArcIMS) which is being deprecated; or
- The Esri Grid Format which has *.adf files
These are two very different purposes, so to tidy up (and disambiguate) the situation, my modified proposal, based on appreciated input from @blah238, @mkennedy and @GeoKevin, is to:
- Create a new tag, argis-web-adf, and apply it to questions about the ArcGIS Web Application Development Framework that was developed to "bridge" ArcIMS and ArcGIS Server applications. Remove the adf tag from these questions. Make the webadf tag a synonym of this new tag and write a tag wiki for it.
- Create a new tag, esri-grid-format, and apply it to questions about the Esri Grid format. Remove the adf tag from these questions. Note that there is already an esri-ascii-raster tag, which is related, but not the same.
For questions about coverages, TINs, and any other
*.adffiles from Esri with that name extension, we already have tags for coverages and tin, so we can just leave those alone and update the adf tag wiki to explain what ADF may refer to, and discourage its use over the more specific tags.
Here is my proposed (based heavily on that of @blah238) edit to the adf wiki :
Full tag wiki:
Use of the adf tag is discouraged because it can refer to several different topics. Instead use one of the more specific tags below:
- arcgis-web-adf - For questions about the ArcGIS Web Application Development Framework
- esri-grid-format - For questions about the Esri Grid Format, which may contain
- coverages - For questions about Esri's Coverages, which may contain
- tin - For questions about Esri's Triangulated Irregular Networks, which may contain