[Update: distinguished between GE and GE-API, and added 5th option]
The elephant in the room: Google Earth Plugin and Stack Overflow/Exchange
There have already been discussions on SO vs GIS.SE and I think there was some consensus:
Generally, questions on
- using GIS => GIS Stack Exchange
- programming regarding GIS, but not depending on GIS knowledge => Stack Overflow
- programming requiring GIS knowledge => GIS Stack Exchange
Specifically, questions on Arc* at SO should be monitored by us and be encouraged to move here (according to the above general rules).
There have already been discussions on providing support for GIS tools -- vendors vs GIS.SE -- and again I think there was some consensus:
- We like cooperation between GIS vendors and GIS.SE.
- Vendors who abandon their customers and send them to us without so much as a "please" or "thankyou", should get their bottoms smacked.
The Google Developers site https://developers.google.com/earth/forum/ is still active and yet it says
Important: We’re moving our support forums for KML and Google Earth API technical questions to Stack Overflow
Over at SO, the current (2013-12-21) stats for two GE tags:
google-earth x 581, 7 this month, 210 this year google-earth-plugin x 429, 6 this month, 171 this year
While here at GIS.SE, the GE tags stats are pitifull by comparison:
google-earth x 164, 0 this month, 69 this year google-earth-enterprise x 3, 0 this month, 2 this year google-earth-pro x 2, 0 this month, 0 this year
FYI, it's even worse at Super User:
google-earth x 39, 0 this month, 9 this year
So what are we to do?
- Apply the same policy for GE as we do for Arc*? If so, does anybody actually go to SO and encourage questions on Arc*, requiring GIS knowledge, to come here instead? And does anybody at SO do it?
- Ask Google and SO to revise their nearly 15-month-old policy so everything is consistent with our own policy? Seems ideal but impractical.
- Keep our existing policy but add an exception for GE (i.e., send all GE questions to SO!)?
- Keep our existing policy and ignore the elephant in the room? Personally, I'm very interstd in GE and KML, but my room is too small for elephants. (Talking of elephants, we don't seem to have the same problem with PostGIS!)
- Keep our existing policy but add an exception for the GE-API/Plugin (i.e., send GE API/Plugin questions to SO!)? And keep questions about using the stand-alone GE application, and about understanding the graticule, loxodromes, or coordinates, etc, here.