Now that we have the tags related to arcgis well organized (thanks to PolyGeo) I wonder if we could improve this policy tying up some loose ends.
One argument in favor of using detailed tags was that people would be able to easily find questions within a specific subject, and it would lead to more answers on questions. So far, everything ok.
However, some counter arguments still remained from the last talk. They were:
- rettagments of old threads would be a problem.
- people interested in the topic arcgis in a general manner would have difficulties to subscribe to questions with so segmented arcgis tags.
But what if we keep adding the specific tags, but also maintaining arcgis?
I mean, let it be in a broader sense (differently from what we current have on its tag excerpt).
I only see advantages on doing this.
- less retagging needed (no need to remove arcgis, when all the other tags are ok).
- people would be able to subscribe to arcgis, and search for arcgis in a general manner.
- we could keep one of our main tags and continue to advance with past work.
I see no harm aggregating this policy on the current one. Most posts do not use all 5 available tag rooms.
So, if a user label a question with: arcgis, arcgis-desktop, arcgis-10.1; and the post really is about arcgis-desktop version 10.1, just let all the 3 tags be?