Too many questions exists that have already a very close and correct answer. I am pretty sure you have answered questions that you know it is 100% correct. However the OP (original poster) neglects the action of marking as answer. This ignorance can have many reasons:
- The OP really didn't find an appropriate answer
- Answers are close but not the real answer
- The OP has not read the tour page and doesn't know how this site functions.
- There is (or are) high voted answers, the OP knows the rules (tour) but declines to mark as answer because of ignorance. Although it's been a long time since the creation of the question.
So generally this situation roots in the answers (no correct answer) or the OP. We cannot do anything with a non-answered question, but I think those that are related to OP should be handled appropriatelly. My suggestion is to give the moderators this persmission of marking these types of question as answered. Some criteria can be defined (e.g. the answer is old enough and up-voted enough)
I found a similiar post that wants to Encourage accepting answers on GIS Stack Exchange?
Some nice ideas were introduced there
- % accepted answer (matt wilkie)
- Shunning (Kirk)
- Option presented to the Questioner (Devdatta)
Finding all of these useful, none has been incorporated into stackexchange so far.