Currently, we have x700 and x57. Their excerpts mostly overlap:


To limit or reduce the extent of one dataset by the extents or boundary of another.


In this context means to cut or trim an image or raster file. Do not use in association with questions to do with farming or agriculture.

Questions tagged with and seem to have the same scope.

Are they different or the same?

  • 1
    I would never use crop to describe a vector clip. I think crop is always on raster data and to a rectangle. I'm in two minds about whether the distinction I perceive warrants two tags so I'm keen to see any answers from others.
    – PolyGeo Mod
    Commented May 9, 2018 at 20:41
  • 2
    I agree with @Midavalo that clip is the more generic of the two so I'd be happy with crop as a synonym of clip. In ArcGIS Clip_management clips rasters and Clip_analysis does vectors.
    – PolyGeo Mod
    Commented May 10, 2018 at 0:02
  • Please note that crop (raster sense) and crop (farm crops) are used in that small field of GIS too example agr.gc.ca/eng/?id=1343066456961
    – Mapperz Mod
    Commented May 10, 2018 at 1:50
  • 1
    I've made crop a synonym of clip. For now I have not merged, pending a stronger vote. If no dissenting views emerge I'm happy to merge (and leave crop behind as a synonym), if you ping me later.
    – PolyGeo Mod
    Commented May 13, 2018 at 21:50

2 Answers 2


As stated in my comments, in GIS I think the term "crop" is a kind of subset of "clip" specific to rectangular trimming of image edges. With this in mind I believe should be used to cover both clip and crop - there is not enough difference between the two to keep separate tags.

That said, we do have questions regarding image classification attempting to classify land-use such as forestry, rivers, and agriculture. Some of these also use the tag, presumably for agriculture classification. If we retag to we will need to also retag some of these to .

I believe the tag should then be synonymised to .


I made a quick research in questions tagged and 53 from 57 were about clipping/cropping either raster or vector data. Just like .

While in the GIS world (i.e., outside GIS SE) 'clip' and 'crop' can have distinct meanings (for example, the ones commented by PolyGeo), within GIS SE tags can be (are) used in a more relaxed terms so to group questions per subject efficiently.

By doing this quick search on I saw many potential duplicate questions to . Making one tag synonym of the other will help people finding and marking those accordingly. Therefore, I propose to be the master because it has been spontaneously used more frequently.

About agricultural 'crops' (the other 4 questions among 57) I think they could be tagged and we would not have a tag with a competing name from a specific field (agriculture) to a common geoprocessing operation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .