Trying to learn enough to be able to help somebody build a Bot for Discord so having to learn a lot of new stuff and not being a programmer just makes it more fun, difficult, frustrating. At 66 I am wondering why I am doing this!!!
OLD History VERY new to GIS in any format! As a Parish Councillor (volunteer, unpaid position) I have identified a need to be able to add our own layers to Ordnance Survey mapping data. So, here I am trying to get to grips with GIS concepts in general and QGIS specifically.
I consider myself to be computer savvy but have never had to learn complicated software in a field I know so little about. I use forums quite a bit but not in such a techie rich environment so the whole stackexchange environment and forum layout is new to me and a little daunting. I keep thinking that at 58 years of age I shouldn't be doing this to myself :)
Very slowly getting to grips with GIS and the software technology that accompanies it. As I learn more I realise that there are more 'real life' uses that I could put QGIS to. I would like to have a layers for all the Parish street furniture and I particularly want to produce an application that will enable us to log data about our street lights including fault reports, repairs and associated costs etc. Recently realised that I may well have to get to grips with some sort of database product and thinking that PostgreSQL might be the way forward.
The more I learn the more I realise I do not know and the bigger the tasks get :)
Member for 8 years, 11 months
25 profile views
Last seen Jan 28 at 21:50
- Geographic Information Systems 1.1k 1.1k 33 gold badges1212 silver badges2828 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 179 179 11 gold badge11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- Database Administrators 133 133 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 101 101 22 bronze badges
- Stack Apps 101 101 11 bronze badge
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 11 How to select features where attribute is not NULL?
- 10 Creating different diameter circles round points using QGIS
- 6 How is the legal situation for edited maps?
- 5 Add 3rd party repositories button not in version 1.8.0 Lisboa
- 5 How can I join a spreadsheet to a point layer?
- 5 DXF format for QGIS
- View more network posts →